Sunday, September 20, 2009

Prayer Prompts

Today in our "Sunday School class", Ken continued our study about the "commands of Christ" - this time we studied the command to pray.

We discussed: out of each twenty-four hours, how much time do we spend praying? What do we pray for? How do we pray?

The verse Carsyn was given to read, spoke of praying joyfully - He (God) will make us joyful in prayer:
Isaiah 56:6&7 "Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the Lord, to serve him, and to love the name of the Lord, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant; Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer ... for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people."
We discussed how the "house of prayer" in this age is in us, God's people. God lives in us. He will make us joyful in prayer, we needn't work to find that joy ourselves, God will make us joyful in prayer.

Paul tells us to "Pray without ceasing." I Thessalonians 5:17
We need only to claim His promise to fulfill His command.


What is it that prompts you to pray?

Is it adversity? Plenty? Peace? Persecution?


As I've pondered on prayer today, I thought about when do I pray?

Of course, every reason we are drawn to prayer is a good reason. Recently though I've been burdened to pray for many in the "family" who are sick & suffering. Living out here in the bush and struggling a bit with loneliness, I've decided to use the opportunities when I feel lonely to think of others whose struggles are beyond their control - to lift them & their loved ones in prayer to our loving Father who knows their every need & can supply.

The Holy Spirit living in me prompts me to pray ... and as I go about my day, I try to heed that call. Whenever a hurting, needy loved one or friend or acquaintance comes to mind. I pray for them. Right then and there, as I carry on with whatever I'm doing at the time. It is an amazing privilege to speak with God whenever, wherever!

Another prayer prompt that I've adopted through the years is to pray for the person whose recipe I use as I'm cooking, canning or baking.

Most recently, my nose has prompted me to pray -- yup, my nose! How's that? A new friend, Diane, has just been diagnosed with lymphoma and she has extreme sensitivities to perfumes ... smells of all kinds. She shares regularly with her email support team her struggles on this difficult journey. Now, I find myself noticing smells more -- like the strong baby fresh scent of Pampers diapers -- so, often when I go to pick up Faith Mattaya I'm prompted to pray for Diane & her family. Other smells remind me to pray as well. It also reminds me to be thankful for the sense of smell - which some people I know have lost & miss.

Amazing how I've learned to use my nose to pray! Both funny & useful! Eternal benefits to following my nose!

No comments: