Friday, November 14, 2008

Necessity Invents Free Meals

Necessity is the mother of invention ...

Yesterday, it happened at our house. I wanted to make a stir-fry for supper, but I found I had only carrots and a half head of cabbage to go with the (free) chicken breast I chopped up. Just carrots & cabbage could have sufficed, but I usually like to have a bit more variety like zuchinni or something - it dawned on me that I had a half of a spaghetti squash sitting in my fridge from supper the night before.

Sure thing, peeled & diced & tossed in with the stir-fry it made for a perfect addition to the dish.

BONUS - it's healthy!

The added BONUS is that spaghetti squash is super easy to grow (in the past I remember growing wa-ay too much and end up giving it away or tossing it into compost in late spring ...). But the fact of the matter is that variety of squash lasts way longer into the winter than zuchinni - giving us more opportunities for "free" meals.

Whoo hoo! I was excited to discover this "invention"!

You better believe it - I'll be planting more spaghetti squash next spring than I had planned on.

No comments: